The concept of the Self is complex and multifaceted. There are numerous theories and philosophies that offer varying understandings on what the Self is and how you develop Self. In this article, we will explore what is the concept of Self and how to develop Self leadership in your daily life.
The concept of Self refers to an individual’s sense of their own identity, existence, and uniqueness. Here are a number of key aspects of the Self:
- Self Identity – The core concept of the Self such as gender, age, ethnicity and personal beliefs that make each person unique.
- Self Consciousness – The ability to think about and reflect on oneself.
- Self Concept – The mental and emotional image that one has of themselves.
- Self Esteem – The evaluation individuals have of themselves.
- Self Actualization – The realization of one’s potential.
- Social Self – The Self that interacts with and is influenced by social, cultural norms and expectations.
- Self Image – The mental picture one has of themselves.
In the process of exploring finding the true and authentic Self, there comes a point in the journey where you begin to lead from a place of Self leadership. This means knowing and understanding who you are authentically and showing up from this place of awareness with truth and leadership in all the facets of your life.
At it’s core, Self leadership is about understanding your values, strengths, areas of growth and goals. It is about finding purpose in your life and taking the necessary steps to stay true to that vision. Here are a couple of questions to get you started on the journey of Self discovery and leadership:
- What are you good at and enjoy doing?
- What would you like to be better at?
- Where in your life do you struggle?
- How do you express your emotions?
- What is important to you personally? Socially? Globally?
- How do you recover from setbacks?
- How do you celebrate wins?
- How do you get things done?
- What interferes with getting things done?
- Who in your life knows the authentic you?
- How do you spend your down time?
Remember that the journey of discovering Self and Self leadership is a continuous process of developing self awareness and the mindset needed to lead your life in a way that is authentic to you and who you are meant to be in this life.